How to Create an Eye-Catching Vignette
January 26, 2016 | trioonline
While design magazines and blogs make it seem effortless to throw a few things together on a shelf and make it look stylish, in real life, it’s not quite as easy. If you want to learn how to create a magazine-worthy vignette, these simple tips will show you the way.
- Start with a blank slate. No matter what type of finished product you have in mind, it’s always best to start with a blank surface so that you can really visualize where things will go.
- Gather complementary colors. Before placing the items in your vignette, make sure that they all look good together. They don’t have to match exactly, but they should look purposeful together.
- Start with the largest item. Place your largest item first, whether it’s a lamp or a vase of flowers.
- Think of layers. Place items at varying heights and depths, such as a couple of large frames against the wall and smaller candles at the front. You can also stack books horizontally to offset the vertical items.
- Play with spacing. Move objects a few times, then step back and admire your work to find the right spacing.
- Consider texture. Finally, create texture in your vignette. Incorporate lush plants, flowers, feathers or even a woven basket as a finishing touch.