Apple’s portable devices have redefined gaming – no longer do you need a joystick or buttons to have fun on the go. Instead, games that use the iPhone and the iPad’s touchscreen interface are all the rage. There are hundreds of games on sale in the App Store, making it hard to find those that are worth your time. Here are five that will give you hours of entertainment:
- Angry Birds. In many ways the killer app for portable gaming, this insanely popular game is deceptively simple: use a slingshot to launch cartoon birds at structures to dislodge pigs. But inside the game is a robust physics simulation and some exceptionally well-designed levels.
- Infinity Blade. This 3D swordfighting game has won legions of fans for its bracing difficulty and gritty, intuitive mechanics. The story hook, which has you playing multiple generations of warriors, is great too.
- Doodle Jump. One of the first iPhone hits, this simple action game has a charming low-tech visual style and is insanely addictive. Guide your little hopping hero up the clouds by tilting the device and tapping the screen.
- Critter Crunch Lite. This charming, colorful puzzle game is easy to learn but infuriating to master, and will have you coming back over and over again.
- Game Dev Story. A hilarious simulation game that puts you inside a software company, this addictive title has won legions of fans for its insider humor and cute art style.